Experienced Salem Wrongful Death Lawyer Attorneys
Salem Oregon Wrongful Death Lawyer
Find out why we are one of the best wrongful death law firms in Salem, Oregon
Have You Recently Suffered the Devastating Loss of a Loved One Due to Someone Else’s Negligence?
Goldberg & Loren, Salem’s premier wrongful death lawyers, are here to help you seek justice and compensation for your loss. With years of experience, our compassionate team understands the pain and emotions you are going through and will fight tirelessly on your behalf.
By choosing Goldberg & Loren as your legal representation, you can rest assured that you have a dedicated team of experts who will work tirelessly to hold those responsible accountable for their actions. We will fight for the compensation you deserve to help ease the financial burden of this tragic event.
Call Goldberg & Loren today at 1-800-731-4878 to schedule a free consultation and take the first step towards getting the justice and closure you deserve. Don’t wait, let us help you during this difficult time.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death claim is a legal action that can be taken when a person’s death is caused by the negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions of another party. In such cases, the surviving family members or beneficiaries of the deceased can file a lawsuit seeking compensation for their loss.
The purpose of these claims is to hold the responsible party accountable for the death and provide financial relief to the grieving family.
To establish a successful wrongful death claim, certain elements must be proven.
- Duty of care: Showing that the responsible party owed a duty of care to the deceased. Drivers must operate their vehicles safely and medical professionals must provide adequate care.
- Breach of duty: Demonstrating that the responsible party breached their duty of care through negligent or reckless actions, such as speeding, medical errors, or failure to maintain a safe working environment.
- Causation: Establishing a causal link between the responsible party’s breach of duty and the death of the individual. It must be proven that the death would not have occurred but for the negligence or misconduct of the responsible party.
- Damages: Showing that the surviving family members or beneficiaries have suffered compensable damages as a result of the wrongful death. These damages may include medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, loss of companionship, and more.
Wrongful Death Causes in Salem Oregon
- Car Accidents: Motor vehicle collisions are one of the leading causes of wrongful death in Salem Oregon. Whether it’s a reckless driver, a drunk driver, or a distracted driver, if their actions lead to the death of a loved one, you may have a valid wrongful death claim.
- Medical Malpractice: Medical malpractice cases can involve surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication mistakes, or improper treatment, all of which can lead to fatal consequences.
Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical errors in the U.S. 
- Workplace Accidents: Workplace accidents can happen in any industry, from construction sites to office buildings. Negligence on the part of employers, contractors, or coworkers can result in fatal accidents, leaving families grieving and seeking justice.
- Product Liability: Defective products can cause severe injuries and even death. Whether it’s a faulty car part, a medication with dangerous side effects, or a defective household item, manufacturers must produce safe products.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in Oregon?
The personal representative of the deceased person’s estate has the right to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit. The personal representative is typically named in the deceased person’s will or appointed by the court if there is no will. This individual is responsible for managing the estate and ensuring that the deceased person’s affairs are handled appropriately.
Certain family members of the deceased may also have the right to file a wrongful death claim. In Oregon, these family members typically include the spouse, children (including stepchildren and adopted children), and parents of the deceased. If there is no surviving spouse, children, or parents, other individuals such as siblings or grandparents may be eligible to bring a claim.
Oregon law prioritizes the surviving spouse and children over other family members when it comes to wrongful death claims. If the deceased person has a surviving spouse, only the spouse can bring the claim unless the spouse waives their right to do so. If there are surviving children as well, they may join in the lawsuit alongside the spouse. If there is no surviving spouse but there are surviving children, the children may bring the claim.
If the deceased person has no surviving spouse, children, or parents, individuals who were financially dependent on the deceased person may potentially have the right to file a wrongful death claim. This could include individuals such as stepchildren, domestic partners, or other relatives who relied on the deceased person for financial support.
What Compensation is Available for Wrongful Death in Salem Oregon?
Economic damages typically consist of objective financial losses, while non-economic damages account for the emotional and subjective losses experienced by the surviving family members.
If the deceased received medical treatment before succumbing to their injuries, the family may be entitled to reimbursement for the costs incurred. This can include hospital bills, medication expenses, and any other related medical costs.
Funeral and burial expenses are another common economic damage that can be compensated in a wrongful death case.
If the deceased was the primary breadwinner or contributed to the family’s financial stability, the surviving family members may be entitled to compensation for the loss of future earnings.
Non-economic damages play a key role in compensating the emotional and subjective losses experienced by the surviving family members. These damages are often sought to acknowledge the pain, suffering, and loss of companionship that result from the wrongful death.
Wrongful Death Attorneys
At Goldberg & Loren, our experienced team of attorneys is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective legal representation to families in Salem, Oregon who have lost a loved one in a wrongful death.
From investigating the incident to gathering evidence and building a strong case, our personal injury lawyers are committed to fighting for your rights and seeking the justice you deserve.
When you choose Goldberg & Loren, you can trust that your case will be handled with the utmost professionalism and dedication. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Salem today to schedule a free consultation.
 Study Suggests Medical Errors Now Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S. – 05/03/2016. (n.d.). https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/study_suggests_medical_errors_now_third_leading_cause_of_death_in_the_us
Need Help? Contact Us
We Represent Families Suffering a Wrongful Death in Following Cities and Communities Near Salem, Oregon.
Have Questions About Your Case? Call Us Today: